• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On administrative leave but don't know why

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silentwhispers

I live in Kentucky and got a call from my manager and HR today (Friday) telling me that I am being placed on administrative leave. But they refused to tell me anything until "the investigation is over". I was told that I can't work until the investigation is over. They said they would try to get back to me on Monday. Can they just leave me hanging like that- telling me I can't work but they won't tell me why?

ecmst12

Yes, they can. No law says they can't. If it goes on for more than a couple of days, feel free to file for unemployment.

sandyclaus

I live in Kentucky and got a call from my manager and HR today (Friday) telling me that I am being placed on administrative leave. But they refused to tell me anything until "the investigation is over". I was told that I can't work until the investigation is over. They said they would try to get back to me on Monday. Can they just leave me hanging like that- telling me I can't work but they won't tell me why?
I find it hard to believe that you have no clue why you're being investigated. Something is going on, and I'm sure you know what. You just didn't realize it could put your job at risk.

In any event, looks like you won't have an answer until Monday. We're not mind readers and the FA crystal ball broke down months ago. Be patient and enjoy your weekend.

swalsh411

Are you being paid?

If you are, there nothing you can do except wait until it's over. \

If not, you can file for unemployment.

commentator

Any time you are out of work for as much as a few days, about a week, any time you can look back for the previous Sunday through Saturday week and you have made less in gross wages than you could draw in unemployment benefits for that week, (max around $415 per week in KY) you can then file for unemployment insurance. This is to be figured by hours worked times hourly rate, regardless of how you are actually paid, weekly, monthly, bi-weekly. This is to keep an employer from putting employees on administrative leave forever and never officially telling them they're fired, which might cause them to wait about filing an unemployment claim.

Your filing for unemployment and the end of the first week you are off without pay will sometimes motivate an employer to make a quicker decision to either call you back to work or to go ahead with a regular termination. If you file a claim, they have to file an answer regarding the reason you are not working, and if it is through no fault of your own, even if it is because they want to do some sort of investigation before calling you back, they either have to pay you, or let you receive unemployment benefits while you're not being paid by them.

silentwhispers

Thanks for your insight. Hopefully I will not have to file but I had not realized that I would be able to in this situation if it were to be drawn out. No I'm not being paid and I really don't know what this is about. So thanks.

swalsh411

File immediately. There is no reason whatsoever not to. You have a "waiting week" anyway before you can be paid. (assuming your claim is approved).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">