• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Administrative Leave with Pay...rights??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

murphymusic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My wife (public school teacher) was put on administrative leave with pay last week.
She is the Director of a Fine Arts Program. The program has a parent support group...with a few parents that really don't like or support my wife. They ( I assume it's them) have brought up 3 serious allegations against my wife.

1. mishandling of money
2. altering the program website w/out their knowledge
3. inappropriate behavior w/students

All of these allegations are false...and yet my Wife was removed from the school, told not to set foot on school property until an investigation is conducted.
She feels her 24 yr unblemished career is over and that her integrity and reputation are permanently destroyed.
What are her rights in this situation???
She was given absolutely no details regarding the allegations
Does she have a right to know exactly what she is accused of????
The union will provide an attorney, but not until the investigation is completed.
I feel like we need an attorney now!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

OHRoadwarrior

An attorney for what? Allegations were made, they are investigating them. If your wife feels there are teeth to the complaints, she should get an attorney of her own. Otherwise, wait for the results.

commentator

Until the point at which her administrative leave with pay becomes unpaid leave, there should be no problem. I am sure you think they should never even have investigated these issues, and would like to sue them for doing it, there is nothing proved yet, if she is exonerated, this will become a non issue, and there will be no damages.

swalsh411

Enough with the dramatics. Her reputation of 24 years will not be "destroyed" because of an allegation that was proven to be untrue. Sheesh.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My wife (public school teacher) was put on administrative leave with pay last week.
She is the Director of a Fine Arts Program. The program has a parent support group...with a few parents that really don't like or support my wife. They ( I assume it's them) have brought up 3 serious allegations against my wife.

1. mishandling of money
2. altering the program website w/out their knowledge
3. inappropriate behavior w/students

All of these allegations are false...and yet my Wife was removed from the school, told not to set foot on school property until an investigation is conducted.
She feels her 24 yr unblemished career is over and that her integrity and reputation are permanently destroyed.
What are her rights in this situation???
She was given absolutely no details regarding the allegations
Does she have a right to know exactly what she is accused of????
The union will provide an attorney, but not until the investigation is completed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Perhaps you should allow a more mature or impartial person to handle this.

You obviously consider her a victim of people you can't prove initiated the actions taken against her. There's no law that says that those people have to "like" her and "support" is subjective. Remember that she's still getting a paycheck.

The school has the right to investigate the charges. They owe that to other parents and teachers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not being snarky or sarcastic. I am taking your concern seriously. I am asking this question for a reason.

What kind of rights are you asking about? In a perfect world, what answer would we be giving you (with regards to "rights") that is what you want to hear?

las365

"We" don't need an attorney. Your wife may wish to consult with one, but unless she comes and posts herself it will be a little difficult for people here to give her helpful advice. You don't know all of the facts and circumstances, and you are way too worked up about this for this to end up well with just us and you.

murphymusic

Thanks for the advice...
Yeah, I was really worked up when I posted. Just have to wait it out I guess. Unfortunately, the guy that does the investigations is out of town until the 30th. So it hasn't even begun yet.

ecmst12

They are OBLIGATED to investigate all complaints. This is for legal reasons as well as ethical, the primary goal is to make sure that no children are being harmed. If she has done nothing wrong, then she has nothing to worry about, and she should try to enjoy her unscheduled vacation.

Betty

Since these are serious allegations, they have to be investigated. She is getting paid during the investigation. She just needs to wait for the investigation to be complete - if she has done nothing wrong, that should be determined.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">