• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Straif

What is the name of your state? Texas

My previous job in which I worked at for almost three years just fired me. I had to ask for a reason and was simply told I wasn't working fast enough. When I asked for an example I was told I couldn't have one. Well, I filed for unemployment and they are trying to contest it.

They are using things such as "I refused to work overtime the day before I was fired." This is true. But there was two women that also refused to work overtime that day. We all had the same reason. We was tired and hurting from already working nine hours that day.

This was a screen printing place and one of my duties was to cover the screens. Well, the new glue they switched to caused my eyes to burn and after being around it a while it would start to make me sick. My immediate supervisor and I reached an agreement and decided that I'd only cover two at a time because of that. While covering two at a time they are getting two screens but I'm not getting sick to the point of needing to go home. The day I was fired I made only two screens and now my former boss is trying to say that wasn't enough and use that to deny my unemployment.

After the previous supervisor was run off I had to take over her duties as well. So, I had the job I was originally hired for and the job this other woman used to do. The amount of work for two people... I also had the other people there demanding I do certain things for them. The boss even made me leave the building to go do work around his personal house that had nothing to do with the company. I complained several times about not being able to do my job properly because of the amount of work I had to do and the fact they wouldn't give me a chance to do it before pulling me off to go do something else. I repeatedly asked for them to get me some help. I also complained of too many people telling me what to do. I didn't know which orders to take.

So, considering the fact that two women refused to work extra time that day (I'm a male by the way), to have made more screens would have made me sick, and the fact that they ignored requests from me that could have helped me get my job done better should I be qualified for unemployment benefits? If so and they do deny me is there any advice on how I might try to fight it?

And is this a wrongful termination?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">