• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice about a "promotion" yes or no

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalbelle1983

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi,
I have a question regarding my current place of employment. Basically, where I work we have recently changed over management. The new manager is Latina and ever since she has been hiring all Latina(o) employees; this I do not have an issue with however, she has been harassing employees who are not of Hispanic origin. One instance is (I am biracial) I speak Russian as my father was Slavic; however, I was disciplined at work for supposedly speaking Russian with a customer ( I work in a coffee shop) who is from Russia.
I am also Eastern Orthodox Christian and I was due for my week vacation time so I put the request in the same time we celebrate Christmas (which is a week later than Western Christmas) however, I was approached by the same manager and was basically questioned about my religious beliefs and was asked if my religion believed in "Jesus and the Holy Spirit" while at work. This line of questioning made me feel uncomfortable as I feel my religious beliefs and how I celebrate my holidays are a personal choice; basically I felt offended by those sort of questions.
There are several other instances (which I have documented) as well her edited our time cards, adjusting our hours (giving us less hours) etc. I have since had a discussion with our District Manager/owner of our company and ever since I noticed my hours have significantly been lowered. Overall, she took hours from me to give another employee overtime (close to 50 hours a week). When I once again brought this to the attention of the District Manager I was told by him it was possibly because someone quit; yet, the person who quit should not affect me in anyway as well there is coverage for that shift which was needed.
A few days ago I filed a complaint with EEO and suddenly I was offered a "promotion" however, I feel hesitant to accept it because I feel it is an attempt to "quiet" me however, I also feel that if I do not accept it and remain there at that location I will be retaliated against even further and possibly eventually terminated or forced to quit.
What would be the best advice to proceed with this situation? I know other employees feel or have felt the same as I however like myself are afraid to come forward because of the retaliation.

thanks

Betty

If you're concerned about your job & also not comfortable working there, you might accept the promotion & continue working there while looking for other employment.

Beth3

A few days ago I filed a complaint with EEO and suddenly I was offered a "promotion"

I can guarantee you that it will take far longer than just a few days for the EEOC to advise your employer that a discrimination complaint has been lodged against them. Figure four weeks minimum. The promotion you've been offered has nothing to do with your complaint.

Why not take the promotion? I presume it's more money and more hours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">