• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RalphQ

I live in San Diego, California. I was working for approx. 6 weeks on a contract with a large, multinational firm, when on Sept. 25th I went into a diabetic condition called ketoacidosis which almost took my life -- my body had started shutting down from what the doctor told me. Before I went into the hospital, I called my employer (I contracted through an agency as a W2 employee) and told them I had to go to the hospital. When I was admitted, they called and said that my contract had been cancelled and that they would help me get my stuff when I got out (which was 1 week later). Unfortunately, we had just arrived at the point where we could get insurance and it had not kicked in. The problem is that they gave me no reason for the contract cancellation, and simply said it was an at-will contract, whatever that means. The only thing I know is that it was supposed to be a 1-year contract and I did not get any compensation whatsoever.

Is this legal, and is there anything I can do about it? I have been interviewing and looking for work, but have been out of work for 4 weeks, which has really caused a hardship -- especially with no insurance.

H

hannah jo

Whether or nto you have any legal recourse will depends on a reading and analysis of the contract itself. Employment contracts that provide for a specific lenth of employment contradict at-will employment. But whether you had a psotion guaranteed for one year will depend on the wording of the contrcat itself. It may be of benefit for you to have a consultation with an attorney who handles Employment Law matters - and be advised California also still allows causes of action based on good faith and fair dealing in employment. Good luck!

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">