• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcush

What is the name of your state? NH
I HAVE BEEN STEAMING OVER SOMETHING THAT I NEED AN ANSWER TO.I PLAN ON CALLING THE DEPT OF LABOR ON THIS ISSUE MONDAY MORNING.
SO ANY BODY HERE WITH MORE KNOWLEGE THAN MYSELF PLEASE POST..I WORK AT A SMALL VARIETY STORE,A MENTALLY CHALLENGED MAN WAS HIRED TO STOCK THE COOLER,AND MOP FLOORS ETC.. THIS MAN CAN HAVE SEIZURES AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT,ANY WAY I WAS TALKING WITH HIM,AND HE WAS TELLING ME ABOUT WHAT THE OWNER IS PAYING HIM( NOW THIS POOR MAN WORKED 8 HOURS YESTERDAY AND IS GOING TO PROBALLY BE DOING AT LEAST THAT FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK.HE IS PAID ONLY $20. FOR THE WEEK AND CAN HAVE A SODA AND BAG OF CHIPS EACH DAY...HE ALSO SAID HE THINKS HE IS BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.....OH MY GOD IM FURIOUS ABOUT THIS, I CAN SEE THAT HE IS BEING TAKEN ( I WORK FOR HABEEBS ) A.KA. ( FROM INDIA) I ASKED HIM IF HE IS WORKING OUT OF AN AGENY BECAUSE HE GETS SSI AND I KNOW THATMAY HAVE TO AJUST HIS INCOME HE MAY WORK FOR THAT AMOUNT."HE SAID" NO THAT IT'S UNDER THE TABLE WORK.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP THIS GUY. THANKS

BelizeBreeze

First of all, STOP TYPING in all caps. IT's rude and hard to read.

And second, while this man MIGHT be taken advantage of, is it any of your business?

And last, how do you know he isn't being hired through a program to employ the handicapped which has its own set of rules.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BelizeBreeze said:
And last, how do you know he isn't being hired through a program to employ the handicapped which has its own set of rules.
My response:

The program is called "Mentally Challenged Slave Labor".

IAAL

Katy W.

Dcush,

I know that the popular viewpoint is "it's none of my business", but I admire the fact that you want to help this guy. If everybody just turned a blind eye to situations like this we'd all be in trouble.

I agree that you need to call the DOL. Then if there is some legitimate reason for your employer to be paying this man the way he is, they can find it out. You could also see if your state has a center for disability law and talk to them. A disability advocate may be needed here.

There is an exception in the Fair Labor Standards Act for mentally disabled workers, but I don't have any experience with it.

dcush

to BelizeBreeze,I am aware about the agency's that disabled people work for.
I in fact talked with him about it. He does not work for one.He is surely being taken advantage of there is no doubt in my mind, that is why I am making it my buisness,there are too many ****S in this country who take advantage of people and I will not stand there and let it happen.

dcush

Katy W. said:
Dcush,

I know that the popular viewpoint is "it's none of my business", but I admire the fact that you want to help this guy. If everybody just turned a blind eye to situations like this we'd all be in trouble.

I agree that you need to call the DOL. Then if there is some legitimate reason for your employer to be paying this man the way he is, they can find it out. You could also see if your state has a center for disability law and talk to them. A disability advocate may be needed here.

There is an exception in the Fair Labor Standards Act for mentally disabled workers, but I don't have any experience with it.
THANK YOU KATY W
DCUSH :)

boonehead

It would be hard to prove what he gets paid, since he is paid under the table.And undoubtly in cash So how would you prove his pay? By law he has to be paid minium wage,unless of course he is subcontracted labor. Which would also be hard to prove that he is not, because he doesn't recieve a payroll check.Even though your heart is in the right place you may be taking on a unwinable battle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">