• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After 14 years I was fired after giving my notice.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darkhelmet

What is the name of your state?Florida
Last week I informed my employer of 14 years that I was leaving the company.I gave 6 weeks notice.He didnt like it,but he accepted my resignation.Today I hear from the manager here,that the owner(who I gave my notice to personally)was coming down Thursday to fire me.I have never had any write-ups in 14 years so there is absolutely no grounds for firing me other than the fact I was quitting.
Can he do that?Am I entitled to my vacation pay?What are my rights.I made all my arrangements around the 6 weeks notice,including moving and everything.
Just to think,I thought this guy was a friend.I was he 3rd person he hired and he has over 70 employees now.

pattytx

The employer is perfectly within his rights to fire you for any reason that is not illegal. He would be stupid to do so, however, because if the company says you have been fired, you would most likely to be able qualify for unemployment benefits.

The smarter way for the company would be to say that they accept your resignation effective immediately (although it is possible that UI benefits could also be payable in this case, it is much less likely). However, granting of benefits would be up to the agency.

Regarding payment of accrued vacation, there is no labor law in Florida requiring an employer to pay out accrued vacation upon termination, as there is in some other states. Short of a valid, enforceable contract stating that you will receive such vacation payout (in which case, failure to pay would be a breach of contract, not a violation of Florida labor law), payment of accrued vacation at termination would be covered by the company's policy. Even so, since policies and employee handbooks are not legally binding, the company could choose to violate their policy (if they have one that says they will pay such accrued vacation) and you would have no legal recourse that I can see.

Also, since you implied that you have taken a job with another employer that requires you to relocate, could you negotiate an earlier start date? If you can't reschedule your move, maybe you commute on weekends or biweekly (at your own expense) until your actual move? That would give you your new job salary at least.

Lesson learned for Florida employees: Don't save up your vacation for very long!

Good luck.

Last edited:

Beth3

Today I hear from the manager here,that the owner(who I gave my notice to personally)was coming down Thursday to fire me Which may or may not happen. Perhaps it was just a knee-jerk reaction by the owner when he heard you were leaving. I expect he's not happy to lose a 14 year employee but may have calmed down since. Or the manager could be dead wrong in what he told you.

Either way, it wouldn't be illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">