• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after 6.5 years of employment, I still haven't received a final check--what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PHYSTY1

On September 19, 2000 I gave the company I was working for a written resignation. My final day was to be October 6, 2000. I worked every day just as I said I would, everything as usual, not wanting to leave on a negative note, after 6.5 years.
On Oct. 6, 2000, my final check was not waiting for me. Just a regular payroll check, as if I had not quit. (all payroll deductions like 401k, life and health insurance) My immediate supervisor was informed, but he claimed there was nothing he could do until the coming Monday, and acted surprised that I was actually leaving the company afterall. The folling Tuesday, I received a call from someone filling in for my immediate supervisor while he was out on "maternity leave," asking where the check should be sent. Almost 10 days went by, and I received a call from someone at my old store location, who wanted to know if I would be coming to pick up my check, that had been there for 5 days (even though I was told it would be sent to my home.) The check was missing vacation hours, owed to me, and I have called on numerous occasions to try and find out what is going on with my owed time. I have been told that the payroll department is looking into it. What, if anything can I do to make sure I am paid for the 40 hours that the company still owes me?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You should have been paid by now. You need to speak with an employment labor law attorney to make sure you get the check and it is the correct amount.

A letter or phone call from a lawyer might just be the "help" or "push" your ex-boss needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">