• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After Hours Requirments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Edwardoates

What is the name of your state? Ne Jersey

I have been with my current employer for one year. Previously my boss and I were part of an informal group of friends that meet every day after work for ****tails. I have had a "falling out" with some members of this group and am not speaking to them. My boss insists that my "rudeness" reflects on him as my boss, despite that it is after hours and these other men have no business association with my offfice. He has threatened to do "something about it" if I do not change my attitude.
Is after hours conduct my employers business?

mlane58

What is the name of your state? Ne Jersey

I have been with my current employer for one year. Previously my boss and I were part of an informal group of friends that meet every day after work for ****tails. I have had a "falling out" with some members of this group and am not speaking to them. My boss insists that my "rudeness" reflects on him as my boss, despite that it is after hours and these other men have no business association with my offfice. He has threatened to do "something about it" if I do not change my attitude.
Is after hours conduct my employers business?
Sure it is. If you as an employee do something in the community that brings discredit upon your employer, then yes it is their business.

mlane58

Not talking to his buddies??? It is not a crimminal offense or an act of moral terpitude...
Doesn't matter. Since it doesn't have anything to do with the OP's race, age, religion, etc... then the employer can base it off anything else he wants to.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I would cross my all my T's and dot all my I's at work. Find a hobby/class/whatever that can give you a valid excuse that you can't go out with the buddies drinking.

moburkes

I would cross my all my T's and dot all my I's at work. Find a hobby/class/whatever that can give you a valid excuse that you can't go out with the buddies drinking.
Ginny, for what? None of that will make a bit of difference.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Employers can terminate employees. If they terminate you WITH CAUSE, then you wouldn't be eligible for unemployment insurance. Therefore, if you are DOING your job correctly, and if they let you go, you can collect UI.

There is something called politics at work whether you care to be party to it or not. If you want to keep your job, but don't want to socialize outside of work - find a very valid excuse "in the eyes of the boss" until this blows over.

moburkes

Employers can terminate employees. If they terminate you WITH CAUSE, then you wouldn't be eligible for unemployment insurance. Therefore, if you are DOING your job correctly, and if they let you go, you can collect UI.

There is something called politics at work whether you care to be party to it or not. If you want to keep your job, but don't want to socialize outside of work - find a very valid excuse "in the eyes of the boss" until this blows over.

Ginny, I stated that in my very first post:

It would be legal, but he would probably qualify for UI.

mlane58

Employers can terminate employees for cause all day long, but that doesn't in any way guarentee that the employee will be denied benefits from the state. Remember that most if not all state unemployment divisions are employee friendly and the burden to prove that the employee should be denied benefits rests solely with the employer and most employers don't do a very good job of documenting corrective action of any kind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">