• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age 60 Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NC

With all that has happened in the airline industry the "older" group of pilots are pushing for the Federal Regulation that requires retirement at age 60 to be upped to 65 or even older. The reg doesn't specifically require retirement from airline work it simply prohibts anyone age 60 and older from acting as a pilot of passenger carrying (ie part 121 operation) airline.

This in no way affects me (28) but a lot of arguments I have heard for this is that it is age discrimination. Simple question, is it? Since you can still work for your airline in the training department, ferry flights, etc, you aren't fired you are reassigned??

For perspective I am against this, since it both increases the amount of time I have to work to pull my full company retirement, and the biggest reason, it keeps myself and others from becoming Captains for another 5 years, if the 65 rule is implemented. It sounds greedy, but the system works by paying the Captains a great deal more than first officers and flight engineers even though we all play the same role.

Thanks for any input.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Dash (one of my favorite posters) I'm not ignoring you. You raise an interesting point, which I would like to consider for a while before I respond.

That okay with you? :)

cbg said:
Dash (one of my favorite posters) I'm not ignoring you. You raise an interesting point, which I would like to consider for a while before I respond.

That okay with you? :)
Well thank you for the kind words! By all means take as much time as needed, I am really curious about this since it really does effect me, especially with my new job. If this does go through (increasing the age) I am now looking at a 10 year upgrade instead of a 5 year upgrade.

Keep in mind its not greed that drives those of us that dont want the increase, its simply financial survival.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Keep in mind its not greed that drives those of us that dont want the increase, its simply financial survival.

I understand. Though you should probably remember that while the increase might affect you negatively right now, it will also serve you well thirty or so years from now.

I want to take a closer look at some of the age discrimination laws before proceeding. Take care - I'll be back this evening or tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">