• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

age and family discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smile2day1978

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My boyfriend worked for this company since august of 2003. He was always a hard worker often putting in 55+ hours a week to make sure things got done. In February of 2004 I was offered a job in the office. I took it because it seemed like a good place to work and grow.
About a month ago they hired a new manager in the shop. He told my boyfriend that had been in charge before this that he was to young for his job. 2 weeks later he was demoted. He took the demotion because there was no cut in pay and figured he could work his way back up. The company needed help so he offered to have his brother work there another hard worker. The manager informed my boyfriend that every job he was at that family worked at he got fired. He said he did not like the fact that I his girlfriend and my boyfriends brother worked there together. A week after that statement my boyfriend, his brother, and I were all fired. Do I have any legal ground to stand on. They gave no reason for the firing to either my boyfriend or his brother. They told me that they could not afford to pay me. But when I was looking for a job today there was a posting for my job for more money than I made there.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under both Federal and Wisconsin state law, age discrimination becomes illegal at age 40. If your brother and/or your boyfriend are under 40, it is LEGAL to "discriminate" on account of age.

Neither state or Federal law, in ANY state, makes the kind of "family discrimination you refer to illegal. It is PERFECTLY legal, and in some cases very, very smart, to limit the hiring of family members of employees.

Nothing you have posted gives any of the three of you any legal claim, unless one of you is over 40 AND you have reason to believe that your age was the reason for the termination. From the way you have described things, I doubt if that is the case.

Beth3

Ditto. I expect that when the boss said your boyfriend was "too young" for the job, it was a poor way of saying he was too inexperienced. But even if that's not the case, it wasn't age discrimination. There's no such thing as unlawful "family discrimination."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">