• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreements by cashing final paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mpgatour1

What is the name of your state? AZ

I have received my final check from my emplayer and in the certified envelope were a list of demands ie. Do not solicit venders or customers etc. At eh end it says by cashing this check you agree to abide by the terms listed bwlow. Is this binding and legal or do I have the opportunity to Cash the check and respond with somthing

Cheers

seniorjudge

Mpgatour1 said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

I have received my final check from my emplayer and in the certified envelope were a list of demands ie. Do not solicit venders or customers etc. At eh end it says by cashing this check you agree to abide by the terms listed bwlow. Is this binding and legal or do I have the opportunity to Cash the check and respond with somthing

Cheers
Sounds fishy to me. Are these demands written on the check itself?

I don't see how they could enforce this; sounds like they think you'll be out trying to steal their business.

C

CheeseBlotto

Was there anything listed that you were planning on doing?

eerelations

Need Clarification

Is the pay in this "final paycheck" for time you actually worked for the company? Because if it is, it's legally your money (and "your money" includes cashing the paycheck) without any conditions attached. Any conditions they're trying to attach to money you have worked for are very probably not enforceable.

If this is money for time you've worked for the company and you want to be absolutely sure that these conditions aren't enforceable, you should contact your state DOL.

pattytx

The employer cannot put any conditions upon you receiving the pay that is due you by law. IMHO, they're trying to scare you into signing a bunch of stuff by telling you this. Besides, if you go cash the check, and don't sign/return the documents, what are they gonna do? You already have the cash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">