• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alcohol While On The Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gizmo7779

What is the name of your state? UTAH

I'm 17, I applied for a job at Kirby Vacuums as a sales assistant. I signed papers ( no parental consent ) to work there. We went into peoples home and cleaned one room for free. At one house, it was me and the customer, my boss was out doing other houses, they offered me alcohol. Of course, I took 2 shots of tequila. I'v asked my bosses at work before if it is okay to accept alcohol, they say just not to mention anything about it. So when I was done cleaning I got back in the van, they smelt it, I told them, they laughed and thought it was cool. Well now, I quit today because they had me knocking on doors for sales and it wasn't my thing to knock on doors. They are trying to screw me on my check, is there any sorta case I can have against them?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Of course, I took 2 shots of tequila. "

There's no "of course" about it. You are underage; it is illegal for you to be drinking on or off the job, and your bosses are the worst kinds of idiots for permitting it, let alone encouraging it. Any action you try to take, however, is likely to backfire on you; unless you want to have a record for underage drinking, or worse, it would behoove you to keep quiet.

They are required to pay you for whatever work you have already done, and if they are not doing so, you can file a complaint with the state department of labor. They are entitled to change your job to knocking on doors if they so choose and you have no case whatsoever against them for that.

And what did the mentioning of "having 2 shots of tequila" have to do with this?

I can't believe a TEENAGER would mention this -- seeing how it's illegal because of your age. My God! Who's to blame for the ignorance? The schools or the parents anymore!?

HomeGuru

gizmo7779 said:
What is the name of your state? UTAH

I'm 17, I applied for a job at Kirby Vacuums as a sales assistant. I signed papers ( no parental consent ) to work there. We went into peoples home and cleaned one room for free. At one house, it was me and the customer, my boss was out doing other houses, they offered me alcohol. Of course, I took 2 shots of tequila. I'v asked my bosses at work before if it is okay to accept alcohol, they say just not to mention anything about it. So when I was done cleaning I got back in the van, they smelt it, I told them, they laughed and thought it was cool. Well now, I quit today because they had me knocking on doors for sales and it wasn't my thing to knock on doors. They are trying to screw me on my check, is there any sorta case I can have against them?
**A: I nominate this thread post of the week.

K

krispenstpeter

nominate hell, I want to WORK there....

Oh DAMN! forgot, I don't drink anymore :rolleyes:

Beth3

"**A: I nominate this thread post of the week."

Heck, it's only Wednesday. Something or someone more stupid is bound to come along. :D

"Of course I took 2 shots of tequila." :rolleyes: Geez, what a dope - drinking something complete strangers offered him. He's lucky they didn't put drain cleaner in it.

n_and

I signed papers ( no parental consent ) to work there.
& you should have read those papers. They state you have to complete a certain number of demonstrations per week in order to get paid. Don't meet the quota, don't get paid.

Of course, I took 2 shots of tequila. I'v asked my bosses at work before if it is okay to accept alcohol, they say just not to mention anything about it
& you would work for people like this because...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">