• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are all employers different?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kyle Thomas

I have recently been fired after a 10 day vacation.I was suppose to report back to work a day earlier than what was discussed.I had told my manager the dates on two occasions of the week(s) i was leaving.Both occasions he did not write them down in front of me..more like an imaginary line over a schedule book explaining the dates i would be absent.I get back the "first" day i thought i discussed back to work, and my manger told me "Hey man, grab your sh*t your fired." "I had **** planned for us yesterday and you f*cked me"(true quotes) i was speechless.. then he got on to talk about how he said i didn't bother to call in the previous day to tell anyone that i wasn't coming in. When in fact i told him my vacation time off on two occasions.This company does not practice the "3 strike rule" (as have 2 of my older employers).There is NO documentation that i have been sat down and warned in the past about my actions and that i've signed.My main question is: Can this company fire on the spot without ANY previous warnings/conversations that were documented? And who's to say who's right in this situation..my word againest his when i saw nothing written down on my arrival date to work? :confused:What is the name of your state?

moburkes

I have recently been fired after a 10 day vacation.I was suppose to report back to work a day earlier than what was discussed.I had told my manager the dates on two occasions of the week(s) i was leaving.Both occasions he did not write them down in front of me..more like an imaginary line over a schedule book explaining the dates i would be absent.I get back the "first" day i thought i discussed back to work, and my manger told me "Hey man, grab your sh*t your fired." "I had **** planned for us yesterday and you f*cked me"(true quotes) i was speechless.. then he got on to talk about how he said i didn't bother to call in the previous day to tell anyone that i wasn't coming in. When in fact i told him my vacation time off on two occasions.This company does not practice the "3 strike rule" (as have 2 of my older employers).There is NO documentation that i have been sat down and warned in the past about my actions and that i've signed.My main question is: Can this company fire on the spot without ANY previous warnings/conversations that were documented? And who's to say who's right in this situation..my word againest his when i saw nothing written down on my arrival date to work? :confused:What is the name of your state?
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

In any of the United States, this would be legal.

LeeHarveyBlotto

At will employment means you can be fired for any reason not prohibited by law, or for no reason at all. Apply for unemployment and begin your job search.

Betty

It may not have been a fair termination but it was not illegal. You can be terminated for any reason at any time except just for being in a protected class (ie gender, age, religion) or unless you had a bona fide employment contract or CBA to the contrary. By the same token, in at-will employment, you could have quit your job at any time for any reason unless you had a contract to the contrary.

MikeKV

Just out of curiosity did you put your vacation days in writing, ie email, before going on vacation? I always do weeks if not months ahead of time to avoid confusion.

moburkes

Just out of curiosity did you put your vacation days in writing, ie email, before going on vacation? I always do weeks if not months ahead of time to avoid confusion.
Good suggestion for the future, but it doesn't change the fact that this termination was legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">