• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I allowed to work while I am pregnant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

preggo_mom

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,

I really need a job...probably something to pay the bills like working at a movie theater. I am sure that I might face some level of discrimination due to my pregnancy, but wanted to know what sort of obsticles I could expect while trying to find a job
(if at all possible in this market)

Thanks

Beth3

Employment discrimination due to pregnancy is prohibited by the Pregnancy Discrimination Act. What practical obstacles you'll face depends upon a variety of factors, such as what type of work you're looking for, how soon you will be needing to go on leave or quit the job, etc. When an employer has a "regular" job opening, in the main they aren't inclined to hire anyone who's going to need to take several months off work not long after they start because obviously they have a job that needs doing. That said however, I know several professional acquaintances who recently were hired for full-time positions even though they were clearly pregnant when interviewing.

If you are just looking for work of limited duration, then seeking positions that turn over frequently (movie theater as you suggest, fast food industry, etc.) might be a good choice. Otherwise, registering with several temporary employment agencies where you'll be placed on limited-term assignments with their client companies would be another option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">