• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I being screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chulorommell

What is the name of your state?Kansas
A couple of weeks ago I was written up at work for being tardy, I was never late again. A week later I missed a non-mandatory meeting. Later that day when I went to work I told my boss Im sorry for missing the meeting, she said ok but call in next time. Two days later I was fired for missing the "mandatory" meeting. There is no policy on this meeting being mandatory, we dont even clock in for them. Me and others miss these meetings all the time. I have worked there for two years and have never been warned I would be fired. Anyway, my x-job denied my unemployment due to breech of "tardyness and absenteeism". My appeal is in the morning. I am desperate for help and can not afford an attorney.

Sockeye

State the situation in the appeal just as you did here. Be sure to include that the meetings are unpaid so therefor clearly not mandatory.

I can't guarentee you'll get it, but if you were in my state I could say you would.

longneck

chulorommell said:
I guess the meetings are paid but you dont clock in. I dont know how that exactly works.
we did this all the time at the grocery store i managed. we did not have the employees clock in, but sign an attendance sheet instead. the meetings were usually about 30 minutes, but we paid them all an hour for attending. if they clocked in, we could only pay them for the time they clocked. if we had them sign in, we could pay them for more time than they worked more easily.

this is an important distinction to make at your UE meeting: did you get paid for the meetings? if your employer comes to the ajudication meeting and says the meetings were mandatory, you will most likely be denied benefits if you were, in fact, paid for the meetings.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">