• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I eligible for unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terea27

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I turned in my resignation effective three weeks from the date of the letter. My supervisor then calls me at home and tells me that I don't need to report to work tomorrow. I just need to bring my office keys and collect my belonging. Am I eligible for umemployment? Was I fired?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you were not fired. Your resignation was accepted effective immediately.

In some states since you gave notice and the employer did not have you work it out, you would be eligible for UI for the length of your notice. I do not know if Virginia is one of them. All you can do is apply and see what happens. You can undoubtably expect your employer to contest benefits on the basis of the fact that you resigned, which in most situations would disqualify you for benefits. The state will make the final decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">