• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icgiants

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I have a shouder injury (not related to work) caused by lifting weights. I had to take pills for the pain (Soma 350mg - pain releivers) and cause me to not be 100% mentally. I did take a notice from my doctor and was put on light duty while I was in the process of going to physical therapy. I told my supervisor that I was going to quit because I had to leave early often or I just wasn't 100% mentally. Later I received a pink slip and also a phone call from my supervisor stating that I was let go. The pink slip stated that I abandoned my job. I know I said that I quit and you can't receive benefits because of it, but they're stating that I was let go. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits? Thank for your time.

Beth3

Only a UC adjudicator in your State can make that determination. Personally, I doubt you will be eligible because (a) you resigned OR were term'd for job abandonment (which are one in the same for UC purposes) and (b) it is questionable whether you are available for work given your injury and your medication. However you should apply for UC benefits and see what happens.

jeremybaro

well it depends did u actually signed your slip that they let u go should of signed it under protest u dont by law have to sign anything

Whether you did or did not sign anything is irrelevant. As Beth stated, you either resigned or were terminated for job abandonment. Either way, you probably aren't eligible for UI benefits, but also, as Beth stated, only the unemployment adjudicator can really decide. Keep in mind, you also have to be "able and available" to work. If you are currently injured and incapactiated, you are not considered "able and available" to work and may also be denied on those grounds, as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">