• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Jeopardizing My Job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

My co-worker and I exchange sexual messages via 'Facebook' private message option. However, we both work in a a different department at work so we don't meet and/or communicate in anyway at the workplace.

I exchange the private messages when I am not at work.

Will I get in trouble or any kind or can I be terminated?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since the crystal ball is out being recalibrated, we cannot know if you WILL get into trouble. You CAN get into trouble and you CAN legally be fired.

Since the crystal ball is out being recalibrated, we cannot know if you WILL get into trouble. You CAN get into trouble and you CAN legally be fired.
I understand in Texas that my employment is 'AT WILL'. What do you think about this situation? I can get into what kind of trouble?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It has been my experience that any time co-workers are exchanging sexual messages on or off work time, there is a potential for a future conflict of interest, a claim of hostile work environment, or various other difficulties that can best be resolved by firing one or both of the participants. Employers do not need the kind of problems that can result if this relationship goes south - or the problems that can result if it does not.

It has been my experience that any time co-workers are exchanging sexual messages on or off work time, there is a potential for a future conflict of interest, a claim of hostile work environment, or various other difficulties that can best be resolved by firing one or both of the participants. Employers do not need the kind of problems that can result if this relationship goes south - or the problems that can result if it does not.
Well I think anything sexual at work should not happen but what about outside of work and that being online? Since I mentioned that we do not interact with each other at work and there is no need to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just because you don't send any messages during work time doesn't mean that work won't be affected.

Look, if you're waiting for me to tell you that as long as you don't do this during work, your employer can't do anything about it, you're going to be waiting a long time because he CAN. Whether he WILL or not is unknown. But just because you have no interaction today doesn't mean there will be no interaction tomorrow or next week; there's no guarantee that everything will remain the same. There's a reason why some companies won't hire friends or family members - there's too much potential for problems.

commentator

And eventually, just once, you will give in to the temptation to check the ol' email/Facebook on your computer at work. Just once, to see if they've responded**************just once.

Of all the things that will get you terminated, with no mercy, no recourse, no unemployment, misuse of computer is the biggest and the best. Because you knew better.

cyjeff

Think of it this way...

You two break up. It is nasty with mean words and thrown crockery.

How long, in milliseconds, will it take for a printout of those messages to be in front of your manager?

swalsh411

Your employer can fire you for any reason whatsoever (even if it has nothing whatsoever to do with your work) except specifically protected ones. (and facebook messaging is not one of these).

You appear to be asking for a guarantee that your employer cannot fire you and nobody can give that to you.

Just because you don't send any messages during work time doesn't mean that work won't be affected.

Look, if you're waiting for me to tell you that as long as you don't do this during work, your employer can't do anything about it, you're going to be waiting a long time because he CAN. Whether he WILL or not is unknown. But just because you have no interaction today doesn't mean there will be no interaction tomorrow or next week; there's no guarantee that everything will remain the same. There's a reason why some companies won't hire friends or family members - there's too much potential for problems.
True. From my experience it hsa not. I have been through Death in the family, relationship issues, etc while employed and it did not effect my work. I understand what you are trying to say. Well I did not knew this co-worker until after I was employed.

And eventually, just once, you will give in to the temptation to check the ol' email/Facebook on your computer at work. Just once, to see if they've responded**************just once.

Of all the things that will get you terminated, with no mercy, no recourse, no unemployment, misuse of computer is the biggest and the best. Because you knew better.
No chance. I think I know better.

Think of it this way...

You two break up. It is nasty with mean words and thrown crockery.

How long, in milliseconds, will it take for a printout of those messages to be in front of your manager?
We are not even dating and have no intentions to. We don't even have any intentions of meeting each other at work or outside of work.

Printout of these messages from Facebook when we are not even at work exchanging?

Your employer can fire you for any reason whatsoever (even if it has nothing whatsoever to do with your work) except specifically protected ones. (and facebook messaging is not one of these).

You appear to be asking for a guarantee that your employer cannot fire you and nobody can give that to you.
So Facebook is protected? Is that a Federal and/or Texas State law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">