• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I not entitled to a severance pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Viken

Canadian, I took a 3-year employment contract in Saudi Arabia. The contract can be cancelled by either party by giving a 60-day notice.
Today, 21 months into the contract, they decided to terminated it.
Since it's a 3-year contract, shouldn't I be entitled to a severance pay equal to 15 months salary (the balance into completing 3 years)?

Kindly advise,
Thank you.

Indiana Filer

Canadian, I took a 3-year employment contract in Saudi Arabia. The contract can be cancelled by either party by giving a 60-day notice.
Today, 21 months into the contract, they decided to terminated it.
Since it's a 3-year contract, shouldn't I be entitled to a severance pay equal to 15 months salary (the balance into completing 3 years)?

Kindly advise,
Thank you.
Unless Canada or Saudi Arabia has become part of the US, you're in the wrong forum. There was a reason the new question box was pre-populated with the question asking the name of your state.

pattytx

Regardless of country, however, if the contract provides for one under these circumstances, see an attorney. If it does not, see an attorney.

In CANADA!!!!!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you've posted on a US forum, I'll give you a US law answer. No. You are not entitled to severance pay. Severance pay is not required in most of the United States, and in the few exceptions it is only required in limited circumstances when there has been a corporate sale. You may or may not be entitled to payment equal to the balance of your contract (which is NOT the same as severance pay) but only an attorney in your jurisdiction who can read the entire contract can say for certain.

eerelations

If the contract doesn't specify severance pay, and you've been given the contractual 60-day notice of termination, then no, you're not entitled to severance pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">