• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I required to repay employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Answers

Pennsylvania --- I was layed off from my employer and did not receive the pay for my unused vacation and person time I had coming to me until I was recalled from layoff. A few months later I was layed off again and told to use any vac and personal time I had coming to me to avoid the same situation since they really weren't sure when or if I would be called back. I submitted requests for time off through my supervisor who in turn said he needed to check to make sure I had the time coming and then would let me know if I could have off. He approved my time off. A few days ago (NINE MONTHS after being layed off and paid) I received a letter stating that I was overpaid for vacation time I did not have coming to me. Since vacation requests are submitted and approved by the shift supervisor and the supervisor did "check" to make sure I had the time coming to me, am I required to "repay" the money? After all, they did recommend that I use my time and approved the vacation requests. I would not have taken off if the requests would not have been approved. The number of hours they said that I was over paid is 32. Total amount they say I need to repay is approx. $700. All vacation/personal requests MUST be approved by the shift supervisor prior to you taking them. Do I have to pay for their error?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Yes you do have to repay the $700. It matters not whether they made the mistake or you. What you do want to do is to make sure that they provide you with a corrected 1099 or W-2 form or whatever to reflect the change in wages/earnings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">