• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for changing locks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kassy00000

I recently left my job in the mall, where I was forced to quit a week earlier than when I wrote my notice for. I had a key to the store to open/close it when needed. Because I had to leave early, I needed my key on my day so I could close the store. The owners asked me to return the key, but when I went to grab it off my keychain I had noticed the keyring it was on was open and the key was no longer there. I searched for the key without luck. I offered to pay for a replacement to be made but the owners said if I don't return the original one the locks/doors need to be replaced, and they want me to pay for it. Am I legally responsible for changing the locks? My employers weren't very humane and have done a lot of things illegally, including sexual harassment, (which myself and several other previous employers can testify to), as well as improper HR management, and paying certain employees in cash so to avoid taxes. I'm sure I have enough dirt on them to win a case if need be but I don't want to stir trouble for no reason. I just don't want to have to pay to change the locks when I don't feel like I should have to, especially not for them.

LdiJ

I recently left my job in the mall, where I was forced to quit a week earlier than when I wrote my notice for. I had a key to the store to open/close it when needed. Because I had to leave early, I needed my key on my day so I could close the store. The owners asked me to return the key, but when I went to grab it off my keychain I had noticed the keyring it was on was open and the key was no longer there. I searched for the key without luck. I offered to pay for a replacement to be made but the owners said if I don't return the original one the locks/doors need to be replaced, and they want me to pay for it. Am I legally responsible for changing the locks? My employers weren't very humane and have done a lot of things illegally, including sexual harassment, (which myself and several other previous employers can testify to), as well as improper HR management, and paying certain employees in cash so to avoid taxes. I'm sure I have enough dirt on them to win a case if need be but I don't want to stir trouble for no reason. I just don't want to have to pay to change the locks when I don't feel like I should have to, especially not for them.
They could sue you if you refuse. You certainly should refuse to pay for changing the doors. Doors do not need to be changed in order to change locks.

eerelations

If they sue you for the cost of changing the locks, you won't be able to bring up in court the sexual harassment/inhumane treatment/poor HR management/paying cash under the table issues because they have no relevance to the case at hand (i.e., the cost of changing the locks). Unless of course you can prove that the only reason you "lost" the key is because of the sexual harassment/inhumane treatment/poor HR management/paying cash under the table issues. ;)

Kassy00000

If they sue you for the cost of changing the locks, you won't be able to bring up in court the sexual harassment/inhumane treatment/poor HR management/paying cash under the table issues because they have no relevance to the case at hand (i.e., the cost of changing the locks). Unless of course you can prove that the only reason you "lost" the key is because of the sexual harassment/inhumane treatment/poor HR management/paying cash under the table issues. ;)
Thank you! But one more question. Does the fact that I never signed any agreement to be held responsible for keys or anything help my case? They just gave it to me and told me to have it so I could open and close the store when need be, but I know that the manager signed something with the mall saying that she was being given a set of keys.

eerelations

There is an implied responsibility for employees to retain and maintain their employer's property. Unless you can prove these keys were a gift for you to do whatever with forever, then you have not met your responsibility. That's how the judge will look at it.

Kassy00000

There is an implied responsibility for employees to retain and maintain their employer's property. Unless you can prove these keys were a gift for you to do whatever with forever, then you have not met your responsibility. That's how the judge will look at it.
Okay, thank you everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">