• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Textile Layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CJinSC

What is the name of your state? SC

I have worked for 20 years with a woven label manufacturer in SC. In Sept. our company was bought by a big competitor (Paxar America). In November we were informed that we would be closed. Many of the people here worked for the "old" company for many many years. (20+) We have 401K with the old company. The most severance that anyone will get will be 6 weeks pay. We still don't know if we qualify for the Trade Adjustment Act. We must work until the "end" to receive the "package" and then sign a waiver (which I got a copy of from a co-worker who now has been informed of her last day).

When asked why the "package" was so small, Paxar said that they didn't have to pay us anything, we had only been with the company 3 months. They did not start us "over" with our other benefits.

Is there anything we can do?

I know that a lot of our work is going and will go overseas. At this time, they have us transfer the patterns to the WV plant. But before the news of our closure, patterns were going to Hong Kong.

What can we do if we don't get the Trade Adjustment help?

Thanks,

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Start looking for a new job.

They are correct that they do not have to provide any severance at all, and it has nothing to do with how long you have been with the company or with the original employer. Neither Federal nor South Carolina law requires that they pay any severance to any employee. That's the bottom line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">