• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

anticipated termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rich60

What is the name of your state?Georgia
I am a part time employee a a large home improvement retail store. I have worked at this company about 8 months. About 6 months ago I began to have problems working and interacting with one of my coworkers who happens to be black. I am white. These problems have nothing to do with race. They involve such things as belittling me in front of customers, arrogance and rudeness to me and some customers, and generally acting like he is 'in charge'. He is a peer not a supervisor. We stated with company the same day. I have 2 other coworkers and they have expressed to same concerns about this employee and how difficult he is to work with.

I have taken this issue to my boss, who stated that there was 'nothing he could do'. I have also addressed this with my store's HR Manager. I told him that the stress in working with this person is affecting me in a very negative way. He did some investigation into it but I have not been told officially what was found.

Yesterday we had another 'confrontation' that really disturbed me. When I got home from work, I called my store manager to ask for his help in moving to another job within the store or maybe he could offer some advice on what I could do. During this phone call, he stated that I made an 'inappropriate comment'. I asked him what it was that he thought i said, but he would not tell me. He only said that "you know what you said", but I didn't. The call ended with me saying, again, that I did not think I said anything offensive, but if I mispoke, then I apologize.

A little while later he calls to inform me that I was being suspended. No details were given.

I fully expect that I will be terminated and I really don't know why.

My question is what rights do I have in regards to access to my personnel file and whatever documentation that may exist about the HR manager's investigation. At this point I feel that this is retailation about MY complaint and that now it has become an issue involving race.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state of Georgia does not require that you be given access to your personnel file or any other documentation. It's up to your employer whether to allow it or not.

rich60

follow-up

Is this the Law as an employee or does it apply to a fired employee who might be considering a 'wrongful termination'?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Both. Unless you have a court order requiring them to give you access (which you will not get based on what you have posted here) they have no legal obligation to allow you to see your personnel file. Period.

What you describe does NOT give you a wrongful termination claim. That does not mean what many people think it means.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">