• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any case at all wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

etoile03

What is the name of your state?I reside in Texas and know that it is an at will state, so an employee can get fired for any reason at all. However, is there any case for wrongful termination for the following scenario? Is good faith and fair dealing a possiblity?

I was hired for a certain position/title. However, it was announced that our department would be restructuring and a new organizational chart was emailed out with our names, respective new positions/titles, and our new managers. I was also called in a meeting with my new manager regarding the roles and responsibilites of my new position. However, two days later I was called in for termination with the reason being that my position was being eliminated and that their functions would no longer be needed. However, when speaking about the position being eliminated my manager spoke about my old position/title. I also proceeded to ask my manager twice if termination was due to performance, and he assured me that it was not.

Also, another girl that was hired with the same position I initially had and started near the same time also was converted to the same new position/title after restructuring. However, she was not terminated.

Thanks.

pattytx

"Wrongful termination" has a legal meaning, which is that you were terminated for an illegal reason, such as strictly because of your race, gender, age, etc. or for violation of public policy, which basically means that you were terminated for claiming a right you have by law, such as filing a claim for unpaid wages, making a claim of sexual harrassment, or something like that.

What you see as unfair, and it may well be, does not necessarily rise to the definition. If it was not an illegal reason, wrongful termination does not apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">