• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any Chance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamashark07

What is the name of your state? NV
Story goes like this -
Told my supervisor about faulty railing at work, management refused to fix it saying they didn't want to spend the money on something that wasn't completely broken yet - few weeks later I was using the railing while walking down the steps and the railing wobbled outward causing me to fall and get several contusions to my hip plus a muscle tear - went to the doctors on workers comp was perscribed bedrest-I called OSHA to let them know about the situation and they went out to the property and ended up writing them up on several violations- i went back to the doctor the next day and found out the exact date of when I could return to work -i called my employer to let them know when I could return to work-a little over an hour later i received a phone call from them telling me I would be receiving my last check

Q-Can they do this? While they have not come right out and said it I'm sure it's because they know I called OSHA-Is there any hope for me receiving any kind of compensation for being out of work and now having a termination on my record?

seniorjudge

mamashark07 said:
What is the name of your state? NV
Story goes like this -
Told my supervisor about faulty railing at work, management refused to fix it saying they didn't want to spend the money on something that wasn't completely broken yet - few weeks later I was using the railing while walking down the steps and the railing wobbled outward causing me to fall and get several contusions to my hip plus a muscle tear - went to the doctors on workers comp was perscribed bedrest-I called OSHA to let them know about the situation and they went out to the property and ended up writing them up on several violations- i went back to the doctor the next day and found out the exact date of when I could return to work -i called my employer to let them know when I could return to work-a little over an hour later i received a phone call from them telling me I would be receiving my last check

Q-Can they do this? While they have not come right out and said it I'm sure it's because they know I called OSHA-Is there any hope for me receiving any kind of compensation for being out of work and now having a termination on my record?

File a complaint with your state's department of labor if you can prove the cause of the firing was your snitching.

mlane58

You need to also file a complaint with the federal department of labor as they enforce the whistle blower protection act. Call the regional office for OSHA enforcement in Nevada at (775) 687-5240 or (702) 486-9020.

mamashark07

mlane58 said:
You need to also file a complaint with the federal department of labor as they enforce the whistle blower protection act. Call the regional office for OSHA enforcement in Nevada at (775) 687-5240 or (702) 486-9020.
Thanks, for the advice, I have done so. Their are investigating, I have also provided proof for them trying to "blacklist" me as well. - I had a non-related third party call on a reference check, and my previous employer's response was blatantly out of line with lots of false accusations, supposedly "in the employee's file" - which first of all are not there and second of all I'm not 100% sure of the law that says it, but I'm pretty sure they can't disclose employee records like that on a reference check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">