• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any laws on promotions within companies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbrager

What is the name of your state? CA
Hello,
I am a candidate for a higher position in my company. It is not within my current department. At this point, we are in the 4th month of interviewing for the position. Only two people inside the company applied for this job and the job posting states that there is a preference for someone with experience within the company. I meet and exceed all the minimum qualifications and am the only candidate interviewed so far that has experience in all three areas that would fall under that position's responsibilty. Other outside candidates have had usually one, maybe two, but never all three areas of expertise. It seems to be dragging on endlessly for no good reason, and I felt I had to force questions to be asked in my interview that even came close to assessing my skills. One of my colleagues expressed concern to me that he heard the GM that is soley responsible for hiring this Director level position say that I wasn't a serious consideration because he didn't want to have to try to fill my current position if they moved me up. I have been at this company for almost 10 years now and have always gotten good reviews. I feel I am being prevented from moving forward through the system because it would be inconvenient to replace me. However, if want to advance my career now, I would have no choice but to leave, so it doesn't make sense. I just want to see if there are rules or laws governing something of this nature or if it looks like I am wrongfully being held back. It may help to note that all other directors at this company are male.
Thank you-sorry to be long winded.What is the name of your state?

justalayman

not for your situation.

the only applicable laws would be disrimination based on the well known race, gender, yada, yada.

You have indicated nothing of the sort.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no laws that govern promotions. The company has to look at the needs of the business as a whole, not how it affects you. I'm not sure you did yourself any good by "forcing" the questions that assess your skills. There are interpersonal skills as well, and forcing the company to interview you the way you think you ought to be interviewed does not indicate particularly good judgment on your part. That would definitely count against you if I were interviewing you.

Bottom line, if you don't get the promotion, unless there is a VALID and SUPPORTABLE reason to believe that it was due to your race, religion, national origin or other characteristic protected by law, your options are to put up with it or find employment elsewhere.

Beth3

What is the name of your state? CA
Hello,
I am a candidate for a higher position in my company. It is not within my current department. At this point, we are in the 4th month of interviewing for the position. Only two people inside the company applied for this job and the job posting states that there is a preference for someone with experience within the company. I meet and exceed all the minimum qualifications and am the only candidate interviewed so far that has experience in all three areas that would fall under that position's responsibilty. Other outside candidates have had usually one, maybe two, but never all three areas of expertise. It seems to be dragging on endlessly for no good reason, and I felt I had to force questions to be asked in my interview that even came close to assessing my skills. One of my colleagues expressed concern to me that he heard the GM that is soley responsible for hiring this Director level position say that I wasn't a serious consideration because he didn't want to have to try to fill my current position if they moved me up. I have been at this company for almost 10 years now and have always gotten good reviews. I feel I am being prevented from moving forward through the system because it would be inconvenient to replace me. However, if want to advance my career now, I would have no choice but to leave, so it doesn't make sense. I just want to see if there are rules or laws governing something of this nature or if it looks like I am wrongfully being held back. It may help to note that all other directors at this company are male.
Thank you-sorry to be long winded.What is the name of your state?
For whatever reason, your employer is not very enthusiastic about your candidacy for this position. If they were, they would have offered it to you several months ago. As it is, they're apparently keeping you on hold while they try and locate other candidates whom they feel would be a better fit. Having the technical experience does not necessarily make one qualified for a management position, particularly at the Director level. A role like that requires significant leadership and managerial abilities, which can be even more important than technical skills and knowledge.

In any event, your employer has no obligation to offer you this job. If you wish to advance in your career and it's not going to happen where you are, then your option is to seek new employment elsewhere.

Gadfly

You and many like you need to get over the "I've been here so I deserve this. . ." attitude. It simply isn't true.

Yes, you are right. Sometimes the only way to move UP is to move ON. Unfortunately too many people are afraid to do this because they are afraid of change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">