• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hunteroh

The first week of October 2003 I lost/quit my job in reaction to my manager’s actions. This is in Ohio, is there anything I can do to try to get my job back? Thanks!

The following is what happened. All year we have been a little stressed, in January my team was 5 people and I was the only technical resource/developer in the group. We then hired one other developer and started an on call rotation, which since I was the experienced one I was always on call or backing up the on call person. Fast forward to last week, we are now a group of 15 people, but I am still always on call or backing up the on call person(s). As we grew we took on more systems so really things never slowed down, we just got busier!

I have 15 days of vacation this year and I’ve taken 3 of them, and most have been me taking half days, being on call I can’t really take time off and even if I’m off they still can get to me on my Nextel. Now the rest of the team, including my manager has been able to work most of their vacation in, as long as I’m there I can cover anyone else. We have a few good sized projects going on right now, and each project has at least on technical person assigned to it, the only issue is some of the tools and systems that are part of the project the assigned person has not been trained on. I have, so each project I am also assigned to, in a “mentoring” role. This is of course in addition to the projects that I am assigned to complete myself. I’m cool with all this, it was my idea to get some people cross-trained and I’m fine with the work. The problem is no one took into account that if I’m working with one person, the other person (as well as my projects) sit idle. So for the last few months we have been getting behind. Now I’ve been telling my manager this (and her manager) and I said it at the start, we can’t complete all the projects in the given time frame, one or more needs to be placed on hold or all of them are going to slip! I was told, just try to make it happen. And maybe I could, but back to the on call thing, we have been having some vendor issues and production problems that take almost half my time and get things farther behind. Sorry I’ve rambling but a lots been happening!!

So last Thursday I get a call from my manager who wants me to come down to HR, so I go. When I get there it’s her and the HR person, she starts in with you are being placed on corrective action do to poor performance, etc. I was shocked! I asked what can you be talking about? Her only response is dates have been slipping and some were missed. I tried to remind her of everything that has been going on, but she said it didn’t matter. At that point I pulled out my Nextel and handed it to her and said I’ll make it easy if you want me gone. Next thing I know the HR person rips a page out of her notebook and says put that in writing and we’ll pack your stuff and you can get it at a latter date. Bye.

A couple weeks later, I contacted the HR representative that processed my resignation. He asked if he was eligible for rehire. She said yes. As a courtesy (once again, in retrospect, a bad move) I emailed my former manager and offered my services in a contractor capacity if she needed help covering my recently vacated position. I also asked if I could be considered for the position I vacated.

She forwarded my message to HR and advised them to call me and tell me I would NEVER be eligible for rehire.

Son of Slam

Sometimes it helps to

PLEASE BE CIVIL, BRIEF, AND TO THE POINT. Please type in lower case letters.****

As it states at the top of the page, to get an answer. Unless what you write is REALLY interesting.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing illegal has transpired. If you want to ask the company for your job back and they want to give it to you, fine. But nothing has happened that would give you a legal basis to COMPEL them to give you your job back. It may not have been fair, but it was not a wrongful termination based on what you posted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">