• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any recourse

• Thread starter notsurewhattodo
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

notsurewhattodo

I was working for a company when I received an offer from another company. It was a written offer. I explained to the new company that I needed some time (10 days) to talk with my family about the new position and follow through on a couple other interviews I already had set up. The new company seemed fine with this. I talked with them on a Monday after the other interviews and told them I would have a decision the next day.
The next day I accepted the job. I went to the new city on my own dime (acrossed the country) and looked for housing. I did not hear from them for almost 2 weeks after accpeting the job. I tried numerous times to contact them by phone, cell phone and email. I had put in my 2 week notice with my empolyer because I expected to be working for the new company and the new company said they looked forward to working with me.
After about 3 weeks of trying to contact the new company, they finally got back to me and said that while I was thinking about the job, they offered the job to someone else and the person accepted.
I want to know if I have any legal recourse to go after the company for lost wages (I have been unemployed for 6 weeks now) and for the costs of my visit to the new city.

A

Attorney_Replogle

You may have a case based on a law similar to the California Labor Code sections 970-972 which prohibits employers from luring employees to change their residence in order to take a job with them. Do speak with a local employment law attorney near you to get his/her take on the current law. Try finding one near you via https://attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">