• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anything i can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcrx7zoomzoom

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
Approximatly two months ago I requested the day of my graduation off from work, however after my schedual was posted I discovered that I was suppose to work during the time of my highschool graduation cerimony. So the first chance I got I warned my manager of the mistake to try and get her (Mrs. Jackson) to correct the problem, however she shrugged it saying it was my responibilty to cover the shift.
I attempted to get the shift covered but due to our small crew and almost all being seniors like myself, nobody was willing or able to cover my shift. Then the day befor my graduation came I asked her one more time to take care of the shift, She again shrugged it off as not her responsabilty. So I attempted to get workers from other near by subways but to no avail. Then my graduation came around and I had to make a choice either walk or go to work. Being as this was my only graduation I choose to walk.
Two days later I went back to work to find that I was fired. This was only my second schedualling mistake, my first being a 1/2 an hour later in over year.

My question is there anything that I can legally do to them. I heard one of my friends say I can sue for wrongfull termanination :confused:
PS my final check was dropped to minium wage a $3. per hour drop

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your friend is wrong. You do not have a case for wrongful termination. Wrongful term means that it is ILLEGAL to fire an employee for the reason they did; that there is a specific law which prohibits an employer from terming an employee for that reason. No law prohibits an employer from terming an employee who walks off the job, no matter how justified they may have felt themselves.

Your employer did not have any legal obligation to grant you the day off. It would have been nice of them to do so but they did not have to.

Walking off the job is a firing offense. I don't blame you for wanting to attend your graduation but that does not change the fact that not only is there no law prohibiting them from terming you, most employers would have done the same thing. You simply do not get to walk off the job, no matter what the reason, without repercussions.

You MAY be owed the difference between minimum wage and your regular wage. That will be situation specific and will depend on whether your company has a verifiable policy that this will happen. You can contact your state DOL and see if they say you have a claim. However, even if you do, that will not change the fact that your termination was legal (and justifiable).

fcrx7zoomzoom

well thanks any way. I was hoping there was something I could do but it seems that the inconsiterate employeer wins this battle :mad:
I checked about the pay apperantly I signed a contract saying if I quite my final check would be reduced to minium wage, However I got terminated and took it to the owner who gave me my remaining wages :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">