• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeal Decision in - Lost? What does this mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lnscott

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

My fiance lost his job and was granted unemployment benefits. The company appealed and sent a joke of a HR representative in to take the case. That took place on Aug 12, 2005. The man (company he worked for) lied and said my finance quit when they originally put in their paper work that he was "involuntarily let go." It was also specified in the appeal that, even though he suffered a back injury outside of work, he wasn't given a chance to do the job they asked; nor was he given any indication that his job was in jepordy. In the decision it says that on or around June 5 (two days before he was fired) he was asked to produce some type of documentation - that's not true! He was never asked to produce anything around that time frame.

Anyway, it says (for decision), "The initial determination of the deputy is reversed. The claimant's benefit rights are suspended effective the week ending June 11, 2005, until the claimant has earned his benefit amount or more in each of eight weeks. The maximum benefit amount is reduced by 25% of balance of claim."

Can anyone put this into English? What does that mean?

pattytx

It means that the employer appealed the original decision and won. If your husband wants to appeal that decision, the letter should say the steps he needs to take to do that.

lnscott

pattytx said:
It means that the employer appealed the original decision and won. If your husband wants to appeal that decision, the letter should say the steps he needs to take to do that.

I'm not trying to sound smart, but I know it means he lost. What I don't understand is the part about the benefits being reduced by 25%. Plus, since they suspended those benefits as of June 11th - when he filed - will he have to pay those benefits that he recieved? He found a new job and started it in Aug (around the 10th) so he's not even recieving any benefits currently.

lnscott

pattytx said:
That's what it's saying.
Ok, let's try it this way:

1. What does that part about the benefits being reduced by 25% mean?

2. Since they suspended those benefits as of June 11th - when he filed - will he have to pay those benefits that he recieved?

pattytx said:
Why do employers appeal? do they pay into UI and their UI rates/premiums go up? I thought it was the employee who pays into UI in the form of a tax. No?

Sockeye

neveragain77 said:
Why do employers appeal? do they pay into UI and their UI rates/premiums go up? I thought it was the employee who pays into UI in the form of a tax. No?
It can vary state to state.

pattytx

And in Indiana, as in the majority of states, the employee does not contribute to the UI tax.

Relative to the "25% question", why don't you just call and ask them?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know of any state where the employee pays into the UI fund. Every state I've ever dealt with, it's paid by the employer.

And employers appeal because the more people receiving benefits, the more they have to pay. Pretty simple.

lnscott

He talked to his uncle about it who did UI work for CSX and he advised him on what to do. I couldn't call because it's not my case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Employee contributions, but solely paid by the employee? I had employees in PA as recently as three years ago and I'm quite sure we made at least some contribution.

Of course, employment taxes in PA are weird anyway.

Beth3

Patty - is the employee contribution rate what is listed after the "SUIEE" designation on that list? If so, those are extremely modest contributions (in Alaska, it's 1/2 of 1% and considerably less in Pennsylvania.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">