• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

appeal process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlynn01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello, and in advance to anyone that can help, thank you. I am in the process of an UC appeal. I was initially granted benefits, but now my employer is appealing. I have yet to date been given my exact reason for termination... except "violations". I have sent a certified letter to the company asking what "violations", but have received no answer. My appeal is upcoming and I was needing to know if a notarized letter from other employees(covering any possible areas) is acceptable in the hearing. My lawyer said he could not subpoena due to not knowing the exact area they are saying has been violated. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Antigone*

Hello, and in advance to anyone that can help, thank you. I am in the process of an UC appeal. I was initially granted benefits, but now my employer is appealing. I have yet to date been given my exact reason for termination... except "violations". I have sent a certified letter to the company asking what "violations", but have received no answer. My appeal is upcoming and I was needing to know if a notarized letter from other employees(covering any possible areas) is acceptable in the hearing. My lawyer said he could not subpoena due to not knowing the exact area they are saying has been violated. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
A notarized letter from other employees is not going to help your case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

There is no obligation on the employer to respond to your letter, certified or not.

commentator

Absolutely. If you have an attorney, he or she should know that they (your employer) do not have to tell you anything. They may have said anything imaginable. What did they tell you when they called you in and sent you home? This will be all you can tell the unemployment officer at the hearing. Go home, shut up, drop dead, this isn't working out, we're letting you go, whatever they said was the reason they were making you leave.

When the hearing is on, they will present their evidence at that time. Whatever wrongdoing they are going to bring up it will come out in the hearing, before your attorney is given a chance to present your counter case.

So right now, try to think of any warnings, disciplinary actions, verbal or written warnings you have received and inform the attorney of these. Otherwise, you've just got to hear what they are saying before you can counter with anything.

If you have any idea who you would ask to provide you with a notarized statement, and what that statement might say, then you may have a fair idea what area they may be accusing you of violating. But don't bother getting anything like this.

If you were not given any warnings, disciplinary actions, notice that your job might be on the line, opportunity to change the behavior, then it has to be a violation of such severity that it can be classified as misconduct. You know whether you did something like this or not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My apologies for the thread hijack, but Commentator, would you be good enough to turn on your PM? I have a question for you. Thanks. :)

commentator

Sorry, been out of town...I hate to sound really dumb, but how do I turn on my messages? I've gotten a few since I've been here, assumed it was working. I'd be glad to help if I could.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">