• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeals Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamesnsteph

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I am currently received unemployment benefits. I filed for unemployment and my ex-employer immediately filed a protest. The dolir then got written info from me and my employer as well as a brief phone conversation regarding the incident. They have now appealed and I received a letter stating that I will have to attend this hearing. I noticed that you told others it was not necessary to hire an attorney in this situation.

The information they provided to the dolir were 2 write ups (final one led to the termination) and a verbal conversation describing what led to the discharge. If based on my and their conversations with the dolir and the write-ups gave the dolir enough information to determine I shouldn't be disqualified, what else would they have to appeal with. I'm sure there are "things" in my personal file I am unaware of, but why would a judge determine on the same evidence I should be disqualified.

This is really bothersome to me, because now if my ex-employer wins the appeal, I will have to pay back all the benefits I have received. And now if during the time between now and then if I take a job offer, I will have to miss a day of work with a new employer to fight an unemployment hearing.

Every thing I've researched about this lawyer and that lawyer states there are consultation fees "expect under some circumstances". I have even called 2 lawyer's today and was told by one they didn't have time for this and asked for my number and would call back and told by the other they would have to call back as well.

Any advice/suggestions/ideas....

Beth3

What exactly is your question? It is true that the UC hearing/appeals process is set up so that neither party needs legal representation. The Administrative Law Judge will guide all the proceedings and make sure both parties are heard and all pertinent testimony and evidence is considered when rendering a decision.

If you want to hire an attorney, you're free to do so although it very likely won't make any difference in the outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">