• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applicants refused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

md21788

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Local school system publicly posts job openings but refuses to accept applications when they are presented. Excuse given was "we are inundated with applicants and can't process them all". This doesn't seem right but is it legal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

eerelations

This is legal. The only way it would be illegal is if applications were being screened out based on things like race, gender, age (over 40), or religion, etc. Screening them out because there's too many of them is perfectly legal.

katmo7

Isn't screening them out different than refusing to accept them? I know that you don't have to give a prospective job applicant looking for employment an application if there are no current job openings, but I didn't know that you can refuse to accept a completed application. I thought that you legally have to keep all completed applications on file if deemed an "applicant". Also who is legally considered an "applicant", whether its someone who meets the qualifications for a job in response to an open position with a specific time frame or not. Many employers limit the term "applicant" to individuals who fill out an official company application form or submit a resume in response to a specific ad/job posting - for purposes of retaining application on file and/or return or destroy unsolicited applications or resumes from individuals/agencies with a written explanation of the employer's policy.

Just Blue

Isn't screening them out different than refusing to accept them? I know that you don't have to give a prospective job applicant looking for employment an application if there are no current job openings, but I didn't know that you can refuse to accept a completed application. I thought that you legally have to keep all completed applications on file if deemed an "applicant". Also who is legally considered an "applicant", whether its someone who meets the qualifications for a job in response to an open position with a specific time frame or not. Many employers limit the term "applicant" to individuals who fill out an official company application form or submit a resume in response to a specific ad/job posting - for purposes of retaining application on file and/or return or destroy unsolicited applications or resumes from individuals/agencies with a written explanation of the employer's policy.
Please site the law/case law for MD stating that a company has to except applications.

katmo7

Please site the law/case law for MD stating that a company has to except applications.
Okay let me get it offline. In MA you have to define "applicant" and accept completed applications. Do you want the law on MA too posted? While I'm at it?

Just Blue

Okay let me get it offline. In MA you have to define "applicant" and accept completed applications. Do you want the law on MA too posted? While I'm at it?
No. I know the law. I am asking you to back up your post...But thanks for offering.:)

katmo7

Why bother asking then if you already know? Do you ask everyone to cite law or case law when the post something? Because most posters don't I'm noticing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, we ask YOU (and other posters who make statements they can't support) to provide the law backing up their statements.

MA law doesn't matter a whit in MD. What we want you to do is show us a Federal or Maryland law that requires the employer to accept every application submitted, regardless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">