• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

application?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katy W.

What is the name of your state? AZ

I worked at one job for 18 years, quit to raise my kids, and got back into the workforce in 2001, where I worked in one job for four years. All the other employees were disabled and they were not being treated according to the ADA (or any other employment law I know), in fact, 5 of my co-workers ended up on sick leave because of the job. I filed a complaint and was retaliated against to the extent that I couldn't stay on the job, so I quit. I have some action pending.

A job just came open I want to apply for, but what do I say on the application about the last 4 years? My recent employer has not told the truth about anything yet and I have no reason to believe that she will do so now if I use her as a reference. But if I don't put this job down on the application it will be saying that my last work will be 1995.

Also, do you have any experience with negotiating a good or neutral reference during resolution? Is this a viable option for me? (It still won't help me now.)

Beth3

My recent employer has not told the truth about anything yet and I have no reason to believe that she will do so now if I use her as a reference. While you can provide a prospective employer with specific references to contact, they are not restricted to that list of individuals. A prospective employer will call your past employer for a reference and there's nothing you can do to prevent that.

But if I don't put this job down on the application it will be saying that my last work will be 1995. You will also have falsified the application form and that will result in your being disqualified from being hired or terminated after you are hired when the employer finds out. You do not want to go down that path.

You need to accurately fill out an application form and have your resume reflect your employment history. When asked about your most recent job and why you quit, you need to be truthful but in a way that won't cause a future employer any alarm. Such as, "The company engaged in some violations of employment regulations and when I complained, the situation became very unpleasant for me so I decided it was best to resign." You'll likely be asked some follow-up questions (I would) but be careful not to "bash" your ex-employer or get agitated when discussing it. Prospective employers will be less concerned about what exactly went on where you worked previously then they will in determining whether you're carrying a lot of baggage and are likely to be a malcontent in any work environment.

So be truthful but downplay the situation and focus on the positive aspects of this job. There must have been some, such as any valuable work experience you gained while you were there.

Yes, you can negotiate the terms of a reference as part of a settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">