• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Application/hiring questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcdo

What is the name of your state? South Carolina.

All issues stated below happened in the order written.

I applied for a job, passed the skills test and the third step was to meet the Plant Manager.

The Plant Manager arranged an interview. Is it wrongful for him to call, cancel the meeting and say that he will call back that same week to arrange a another meeting but never calls?

The employer (a manager) called me and said that they need me for the job. So a 4th interview was arranged with the Plant Manager.

I met with a manager of the company who said my shift hours would be 3:30 PM - 1:30 AM.

Afterwards I was sent to talk to the Plant Manager.

During 4th interview, can the Plant Manager ask: are you married?

During the same interview, can Plant Manager ask: do you have children?

Is it wrongful during an interview for a manager of the company to offer a certain shift (ex. 3:30 PM - 1:30 AM) and then when I meet with the Plant Manager he mentions a different shift (ex.7 PM - 7 AM)? Obvioisly I refused and said this wasn't the shift offered.

Is is wrongul for that plant manager to say that he will call you (the next day) concerning an offer but never does?

If yes to any of these question, what agency should be contacted.

scorp11764

As hiring manager, I would never ask the questions "are you married and do you have children". I do believe they are illegal. I just don't know who to tell you to contact. You could try yuor local Human Rights or ACLU.

moburkes

As hiring manager, I would never ask the questions "are you married and do you have children". I do believe they are illegal. I just don't know who to tell you to contact. You could try yuor local Human Rights or ACLU.
Whether or not you would ask is completely separate from saying that the questions are illegal. I too would like you to cite the law that backs you up.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Asking the questions is not illegal.

IF the state of South Carolina had marital status or parental status as protected characteristics, which they do not, then it would be illegal to use the answers to those questions in making the hiring decision. Neither marital status nor parental status, however, is protected by either Federal or South Carolina law.

IF the poster is female, AND IF the poster has a valid and supportable reason to believe that only females were asked those questions, AND IF the poster also has a reasonable and supportable belief that they have not been hired SOLELY because of their answers to those specific questions, then they might be able to squeeze out a gender discrimination claim. But that's an awful lot of ifs, and I don't know how they'd go about proving what questions were asked of what applicants.

Nothing else posted is even remotely illegal.

Betty

SC - they are not illegal questions to ask. SC: Employers may not make inquiries that will elicit responses related to protected status -- race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability. Medical inquiries beyond determining whether an applicant can perform the job also are prohibited.

There was nothing illegal about asking you if you were married or had children.

Gadfly

As for not calling you when he says he will, there's nothing illegal about that either. Where did you get the idea that it maigh be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">