• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

appointment termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paddleboat

What is the name of your state? Ky

My question concerns appointments with insurance companies. Can a company refuse appointment or terminate an appointment due to credit?

Recently I have fallen quite a bit behind on my credit cards...some i was able to settle but 2 are still outstanding...16000 and 1200. Consequently my credit rating went down.

Beth3

I'm not sure what you mean by "appointments." If you're asking whether you can be denied a job or a promotion because you have a poor credit history, the answer is yes.

paddleboat

"appointments"

You have to be "appointed" with a company in order to write business for that company. You are not an "employee" but act as an independent contractor for the companies you are "appointed" with.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can legally deny or terminate an appointment due to credit.

InsuranceGrl

I was in a similar situation when I had a financial setback following my divorce. One carrier refused to appoint me due to my credit rating. I simply called a manager of the carrier and explained the reason for the credit problems, and all was fine. The reason they check your credit is because they don't want someone who will be tempted to steal from them, i. e. collect premiums and not turn them over to the carrier. Since insurance companies are in business to make money, they'd rather appoint agents than not appoint them, so if it becomes an issue, go to the carrier directly and explain the situation. Good luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">