• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is ARD a "conviction?"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

papoliceman

I am a PA resident that got into trouble at 19 yrs of age. I am now in my 30's and trying to get hired full time with the state police. They have recently disqualified me for having a "conviction" of Misdeameanor 1, but in reality I was offered the ARD program, completed it with probation for 3 months, and was released early. I paid all the fines and had the records legally expunged. I was told that this is not a "conviction" per se and according to PA Rules of Criminal Procedure 234 Rule 312, the comment section states that acceptance into the ARD program is not considered a conviction.

Is ARD considered a "conviction" under PA state law and for the purposes of employment? Thanks for any info....

seniorjudge

papoliceman said:
I am a PA resident that got into trouble at 19 yrs of age. I am now in my 30's and trying to get hired full time with the state police. They have recently disqualified me for having a "conviction" of Misdeameanor 1, but in reality I was offered the ARD program, completed it with probation for 3 months, and was released early. I paid all the fines and had the records legally expunged. I was told that this is not a "conviction" per se and according to PA Rules of Criminal Procedure 234 Rule 312, the comment section states that acceptance into the ARD program is not considered a conviction.

Is ARD considered a "conviction" under PA state law and for the purposes of employment? Thanks for any info....
Q: Is ARD considered a "conviction" under PA state law and for the purposes of employment?

A: According to your post, the answer is yes: "...I am a PA resident that got into trouble at 19 yrs of age. I am now in my 30's and trying to get hired full time with the state police. They have recently disqualified me for having a "conviction" of Misdeameanor 1, but in reality I was offered the ARD program, completed it with probation for 3 months, and was released early...."

JETX

papoliceman said:
Clearly, since the agency you applied with considers it to be sufficient to impact your employment... it is to them. And unless you intend to try to challenge their policy in court.... not relevant.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether it is or it isn't, the fact remains that they have no legal obligation to hire you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">