• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona - Right to Work State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Senior Housing

What is the name of your state?I am an employer of 6 full time staff members. currently the Owner of my property is in a legal battle with the management company to sever their contract...my problem is that one of my employees is a relative of Management at the very company we are in a legal battle with. this employee has shown on two occassions that their loyalty lies with the relative and not with our property...I have informed this employee that as they are receiving a paycheck from our property, any conversation with their family members about business matters should not include the business of our property. Question: As a right to work state, can I legally fire this employee, with no cause?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Senior Housing said:
What is the name of your state?I am an employer of 6 full time staff members. currently the Owner of my property is in a legal battle with the management company to sever their contract...my problem is that one of my employees is a relative of Management at the very company we are in a legal battle with. this employee has shown on two occassions that their loyalty lies with the relative and not with our property...I have informed this employee that as they are receiving a paycheck from our property, any conversation with their family members about business matters should not include the business of our property. Question: As a right to work state, can I legally fire this employee, with no cause?

My response:

"Right to work" does NOT mean "guarantee to work".

At the same time, Arizona is also an "At Will" employment State - - meaning that you can terminate your employee "at your will" - - just like he can terminate his employment "at his will" - - and all without "notice".

Think "conflict of interest" if you need a reason.

IAAL

Last edited:

JETX

"As a right to work state, can I legally fire this employee, with no cause?"
*** You are misunderstanding the term 'right to work'. The 'right to work' simply means that an employee has the right to work without being forced to become a member of a collective bargaining agreement (union). It has nothing to do with your employer-employee relations.
For more, go to:
http://www.nrtw.org/c/azrtwlaw.htm

All states except Montana are 'at will' work states.... which means that the employer AND employee can simply terminate their 'work relationship' with or without any other reason.... except in the case of a protected discriminatory practice.

Simply, you are free to terminate this employee if you want.

Beth3

I'll just add my agreement that what you mean is that you are in an "at will" State and you are free to terminate the employment of this individual. His (or her) duty of loyalty is to you as long as he is collecting a paycheck and since he has demonstrated that he is unable to meet that obligation, you are perfectly free to inform this employee that things "aren't working out" and let him go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">