• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anjel

What is the name of your state?
We are in Canada.

Just for reference...
We need advice...

My friend recently got back into work after being away for a family emergency in California...
When he returned to work he was told he was being suspended pending an investigation into his billing info...

He billed his staff extra bonus hours and himself also for work that he did for the university..
He did not realize that this was not part of his job, as this is how he practised his job for the past three years and nothing has ever been said to him...

on thursday he was told he COULD lose his job...but he told them he didnt care about that, he was just concerned with the AFTERMATH of this situtation... and they informed #1 he could go to jail fo rtheft over $5000... altho i informed him that i cant see THAT charge, because he did not STEAL anything... it was a billing miosunderstanding... then they told him he could go aweay for fraud.. but this was all still preding the investigation... on friday they called him in and terminated his empolyment... and gave him a no trust pass order...
then told to call tuesday to make an appointment to pick up his belongings from his office... then told him the meeting was over... and he could leave...
there was no mention if there was going to be charges... and nothing else was said..

he's afraid now to go look for a new job. cuz he thinks the police are hiding around the corner waiting to arrest him...
i dont know THAT much about law...but if they were going to arrest him, wouldnt it have been done by now?
and i keep telling him to go and put out his resume because he pays rent...he needs food... he has to survive...
he told them that if it a big money difference he would find a way to replace the money... but nothing was ever said about it... ALSO he had to PROVE to them that he did in fact go to califonia... they apparently did not believe him....

what can i tell my friend... i feel so bad for him...
i know what its like to be afraid...
and he is VERY worried..
hes NEVER broke the law in ANY way... parking tickets.... anything...
and it really wasnt THAT much money...it was mainly the fact that he gave the extra hours and didnt document certain things correctly...and didnt clear things with his bosses...
one thing i should mention is that, when ever something went wrong..my friend is the one who got yelled at for it... but on friday he was informed that the things he got yelled at for werent even HIS responsiblity...

could someone PLEASE help us...
thanks..
-A S :eek:

A

Anjel

and....?

canada..

i was told to come to this site! :confused:

SO! i CAN ask here.
and i wouldn't have come to this site WITHOUT someone telling me to...
a lawyer friend...from the states btw, told me about this site.
i'm not asking for someone to rep him...im just asking a legal qn.
if im not mistaken, the EXACT same things can happen anywhere in the free world...
and plus, its not like we havent tried to reach lawyers and clinics HERE...
no one will get back to us... this IS a holiday and all... :( :mad:

Last edited:
A

Anjel

...sorry

im not trying to be rude... im just stressed...
a friend told me about this site... and HE practises law in the states... so if he says to come here thats what i do...
please dont place much faith in my additude..
im stressed and tired and i want to help my friend......

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

Anjel said:
im not trying to be rude... im just stressed...
a friend told me about this site... and HE practises law in the states... so if he says to come here thats what i do...
please dont place much faith in my additude..
im stressed and tired and i want to help my friend......

Why can't you get the answers from your friend who practices law?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Anjel, your friend who practices law does not run this site. Regardless of who told you to come here, the fact remains that no one here knows Canadian law, which is very different in some respects from that in the US.

Why can't HE answer your questions?

P.S. In the US it would be quite legal for him to be fired over a "billing misunderstanding" regardless of whether he intended to commit fraud or not.

A

Anjel

not worried about being fired.

its not that hes to concerned about being fired...
hes afraid that they will send him to jail over this...
hes trying to figure out if its over now...
and he also JUST found out that it looks as tho his bank account is frozen... altho he hasnt ever given the university permission to either take anything or put anything into his account..

as for my friend... hes some kind of... WILL lawyer... HE thinks that its probly done now, if they didnt mention presuing any charges or the police didnt arrest him on friday... BUT he cant say for sure because thats not HIS area...

and i KNOW that the laws are sometimes different...but not over something like this... and he IS legal to work in the states so thats another reason that i asked here..

another lawyer i asked... he hinks its over as well but once again... not HIS area... so he isnt sure... :eek:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Anjel, I know just enough about Canadian law to know that there is no way you can guarantee that they are not different for "something like this".

The fact that he can legally work in the US does NOT mean that Canadian law is not the overriding law.

You are NOT going to get an answer on this site. NO ONE here knows the answer to your question; I don't care WHO sent you here.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbg said:
Anjel, I know just enough about Canadian law to know that there is no way you can guarantee that they are not different for "something like this".

The fact that he can legally work in the US does NOT mean that Canadian law is not the overriding law.

You are NOT going to get an answer on this site. NO ONE here knows the answer to your question; I don't care WHO sent you here.

My response:

Anjel won't be coming back.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">