• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked to leave but not "fired"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYCath

What is the name of your state? New York

I was in a terrible situation with a very abusive boss who has a small firm (total 4 people full-time). I was actually doing very well at it despite his attempts to tie my hands and his daily condescension and criticisms. I brought in a great deal of business for him, and since a number of big deals were about to close (that I was responsible for, and in which he was to make on average $200,000 apiece on) he fired me really so he doesn't have to pay me what he should pay me.

On Friday he confronted me with some made up stories and when I suggested he fire me and put it in writing he said that wasn't necessary, I should just leave. He eventually gave me a contract to sign that is draconian in that it limits me suing him for any reason whatsoever (it lists every Labor Law ever made), including helping someone else in a lawsuit against him. He did this in exchange for 6 weeks worth of my base salary.

My first question is, if I don't except it, and I am not "fired" then what should I do? Do I need to go back to work? Should I apply for unemployment and consider my options?

Beth3

It doesn't sound to me as though you have the option to return to work. You can either walk away, or you can sign the severance agreement and walk away with six weeks of salary. (By the by, the language of the severance agreement you're being asked to sign sounds completely standard.)

It doesn't sound as though you have any legal claim to make against the boss but if you want an expert opinion before you decide what to do, you should speak to a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">