• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault at the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nowaymadison

What is the name of your state?Indiana

Today my son was assaulted at his workplace. He was speaking to the receptionist when a man entered the lobby and “sucker punched” him. He was hit on the side of his face, the man then attempted to tackle him. A scuffle continued until security and the police were called. The man was the ex boyfriend of the receptionist the man was arrested and there were two other witnesses.
My son is in training status for 90 days and is only 45 days into the training. His head instructor explained to him that the company could not tolerate altercations at the workplace. He explained that he had just moved to the area, did not have any relationship with the girl or the man who assaulted him. In fact had only had passing conversations with the girl and had never seen the guy before.

He is not only extremely upset about being assaulted at work, but fears there is the potential to be fired for self defense.

What kind of recourse do you think he may have should they have the nerve to fire him?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they fire him it will fall into the "unfair but not illegal" category. He can contact the police about the guy who assaulted him but he has no legal recourse against the employer, even if he is fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">