• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assigning a Civil number in a lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onceinabluemoon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

Once a summons has been served, how does the process work of assigning a civil number to the lawsuit with the clerk of court? Does this need to be done within a certain time period of the defendant being served?
Or, if the case were to be settled 'out of court', would a civil number not be required to be filed?
Thank you so much in advance.

onceinabluemoon

I'm sorry I should have been more specific and thought I was posting under the right forum.
This question is based from a wrongful termination lawsuit. Please advise if I should have posted it under a different forum.
Thank you :)

pattytx

OK, but I'm not sure how that makes a difference. I thought you were just asking a general question about court processes. Beyond my area of expertise. Hopefully, an attorney will drop by soon to respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">