• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attendance point system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tookan

Hello everyone thanks for reading this question. I am hoping to see if I have any rights here that may be violated.

3-6-95 I was hired by my employer. My employer uses a point system for attendance. You recieve a point for each day you miss. You get a point back by perfect attendance for 1 calender month. When I started I was given the understanding you could get no more then 12 points in a 12 mo period, wich meant to me that they were forgiven afater 12 mos. On 3-1-96 they cahnged there policy to what it is now. In doing so they took your current points and divided them in half. I unfortunatly had close to 12 but had thought theyd be forgiven on my aniversary.

The current system has changed. You now may get no more then 12 points in any time frame. You get a point each time you call in and miss a day. You only get one for multiple day illness if you bring in a note from the dr. You will also get a point if you leave work before putting in 4 hrs time. Now to get on back you need one month perfect attendance. Punch in on time and out on time from the 1st of the month to the end of the month. Ie, I punch in at 6:54 am and not one minute later. If its the second day of the month and my car decides to be a problem and I punch in at 6:55 am I am late, I must now wait till the first of next month to try again to get a point back.

I ask this because my job and livelyhood are on the line, I have 12 points. I would have had 10 the end of this month but I had gotten food poisioning and missed a day. For that I recieved a point giving me 12 and have no way to recover one untill August. I would have had less but in previos months I lost out on returning a point because I had to leave for medical emergencys at home. I feel like I often have to choose between my fammilly and my job. I feel like somehow I am being violated. In reality I am having abscenses that are over 5 yrs old held against me.
Do I have any protection at all here or can they really treat someone so bad.

Any responses will be greatly apreciated, thanks in adavance!

[email protected]

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

Often a company policy is the same as a contract of employment for this purpose, so the point system, as amended, is probably part of an implied contract you have with the company. If they apply the policy to you, then they are within their rights. If they go against their own policy, then they may be violating your rights. However, from what you said, it does not sound like they are in violation of their policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">