• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back pay for extra hours worked (salaried)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JustWondering

(State of Pa.) Recently I was fired from my salaried job (non-mgmt) as a grower for a greenhouse for refusing to work 60 hours / wk ( and 80 hr / wk during the holidays). Because I attend night school, the most I could offer them was 50. Anyway, is there some kind of test in the state of Pennsylvania to determine when a salaried employee SHOULD BY LAW be paid for any weekly hours beyond the first 40 hours? I've heard that this is based on job responsibilities and pay. My salary was in the low $30's, and my duties were basically caring for and maintaining floral crops and products. This includes occasional pest / disease control through the application of chemicals. At this job, I worked tons of extra time ( over 40 hours / week) with no paid compensation for those extra hours. Recently through doing research on my own, I learned that all along I MAY have been eligible to be compensated for all that extra time worked ( all hours in a week over 40) even though I am salaried. How do I find out if I should have been getting paid for this extra time BY LAW, and if it turns out that I should have been getting paid for my extra hours all along, is there any recourse I have now to get those monies?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">