• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arkansas123

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

A few years ago I pled guilty to a misdemeanor. I received 12 months of unsupervised probation, and after that was over, I went back to court and had my record expunged.

My new employer is wanting to do a criminal background check on me through the state police department. The application I have to fill out is asking if I have ever committed a crime and was it expunged.

I think I already know the answer to my question, but I need to ask it anyway just for confirmation. Since my record was expunged, can the state police return my background check to my employer with the misdemeanor on it?

JETX

arkansas123 said:
The application I have to fill out is asking if I have ever committed a crime and was it expunged.
As much as you might want to do otherwise, the ONLY correct (and safe answer) to that question is yes.

Since my record was expunged, can the state police return my background check to my employer with the misdemeanor on it?
It is possible.... and if you lie about your past, you can pretty much bet you will lose your job.

H

honeydripper

no they wont find it

arkansas123 said:
if you had an expungement they wont find out. you are legally crime free now. you can say you did no crime. check the ark laws !
you dont have to say that you commited a crime. That is what an expungement is for

TamaraL

arkansas123 said:
The application I have to fill out is asking if I have ever committed a crime and was it expunged.
If that is what the application says word for word, i think you do have to say yes...even though that doesn't seem exactly fair if it is expunged.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Honeydipper, STOP GIVING PEOPLE INCORRECT INFORMATION.

What you describe is NOT correct across the board. The type of conviction, the state law, and a number of other factors, can make a lot of difference.

JETX

honeydripper said:
arkansas123 said:
if you had an expungement they wont find out. you are legally crime free now. you can say you did no crime. check the ark laws !
you dont have to say that you commited a crime. That is what an expungement is for
You're full of crap!!
An 'expungement' only removes the record from 'public' view. Legitimate requests will still show it. The 'expunged' party is NOT 'legally crime free'.
You say "check the ark laws". How about your showing ONE law that even suggests your correct??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">