• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Fla

I need some advice on how to obtain a job if I have a smear on my record.I have been with the same company 14 years in management position.I have opportunity for advancement with a new company.I'm afraid of not getting an offer once the background check comes in.I have a Lewd & lacivious from 15 yrs ago (I was not arrested or convicted) I turned myself in and went through counseling.She was 14 & looked older & I was stupid & 21.What should I do?I went & ran a background ck on myself & there it was.Please don't slap me around I live with my guilt every day.

JETX

241661 said:
What should I do?
Simple answer.... tell them about your history. Getting it out now, is much better than getting caught in a lie or history check later.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A couple of suggestions:

You do not need to volunteer the information if it is not asked for, and if the question is worded in such a way that a literal* and truthful answer would mean that you do not need to reveal it, then you also do not need to volunteer it.

However, if you are asked a question, either on the application or in the interview, where a literal* and truthful answer would mean admitting to the charge, then do so. Many employers will forgive a single mistake, especially if it were fifteen years ago. Few if any will forgive being lied to, and it is far easier for them to catch you in a lie than most people realize.

*When I say literal, that's exactly what I mean. Look at EXACTLY what the question says and don't assume it means anything other than what it says. For example, we hear frequently from people who looked at a question that said, "Have you EVER..." and assumed that EVER meant either seven or ten years, depending on what misinformation they had heard (or correct information that they misinterpreted). EVER means EVER. Ten years means ten years. Conviction does not mean arrest. And so on.

beautiful5

A LiL InfO

Like the other person responded to you that make sure you read the application correctly. I work for a background screening agency and we can only do what is asked on the application which is usually 7yrs. But make sure that if asked about that because they do check for sexual offenders in all states that you are honest or it will come back as a hit and you will be not eligible for employment for some employers. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">