• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dela

What is the name of your state? TX

I was hired at a day care center as a temp teacher aide on the second day we went to an orientation, one of the things he talked about was background checks he said to be honest, so the next day I went to the manager and told her there was something in my background that she needed to know so I explained to her that I had been arrested 13 years ago for poss toxic drug, poss of firearm, and that I had a copy of my record if she wanted to see it because i did not understand it myself, so i gave it to her and she told me she would have to talk to her manager. Well the next day she told me that the her manager wanted to talk to me so I went to see him and he said that because of my background he was going to have to let me go because I could not work with children. on their job application it asks have you ever been convicted of any felony,or pleaded no contest in a felony during the last 10 years? I don't understand this much but I only see 3 charges, 1.Level-Misdemeanor Disp-Adj withheld, 2. Level felony Disp-nolle prossed, 3. same as #2. I was given 6 months probation which i completed I have had a clean record since this happened in Florida. I also worked in a daycare in florida since 1999 to 2005 with no problems. Was it right for them to "let me go".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In mnay states, it is illegal for an employer to hire people with certain offenses in their background to work with children, or in nursing homes, or hospitals. While I don't know Texas or Florida law offhand, that possibility certainly exists.

seniorjudge

dela said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I was hired at a day care center as a temp teacher aide on the second day we went to an orientation, one of the things he talked about was background checks he said to be honest, so the next day I went to the manager and told her there was something in my background that she needed to know so I explained to her that I had been arrested 13 years ago for poss toxic drug, poss of firearm, and that I had a copy of my record if she wanted to see it because i did not understand it myself, so i gave it to her and she told me she would have to talk to her manager. Well the next day she told me that the her manager wanted to talk to me so I went to see him and he said that because of my background he was going to have to let me go because I could not work with children. on their job application it asks have you ever been convicted of any felony,or pleaded no contest in a felony during the last 10 years? I don't understand this much but I only see 3 charges, 1.Level-Misdemeanor Disp-Adj withheld, 2. Level felony Disp-nolle prossed, 3. same as #2. I was given 6 months probation which i completed I have had a clean record since this happened in Florida. I also worked in a daycare in florida since 1999 to 2005 with no problems. Was it right for them to "let me go".

Was it right for them to "let me go".

Yes; normal people do not want druggies watching their kids.

dela

Well I'm not a druggie never have been never will be. I was just at the wrong place, But thanks for being normal and honest.

So even though their application states in the last ten years, they can still go further back

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they choose to, yes, unless your state law specifically prohibits it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">