• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bardunatorio

What is the name of your state? California
I was arrested for petty theft a couple of months ago. I stole a shirt ($25), something really stupid. I haven't been to court yet (going to in about 6 weeks) and so I haven't been convicted of a crime. I know if I apply for jobs right now, my record would be clean.

1. However, if I am hired soon and start working, and if I am convicted 6 weeks from now, will my job find out? It is a retail store that is well-known for teenagers and young adults.

2. Are background checks usually done only once or how many times a year?

3. Also, how long does it take for convictions to show up on a person's record? Will it automatically show up on my record the day I will be in court?

4. Are businesses notified if a conviction has taken place on a current employee?

Depending oh how they do the search it may or may not show up yet. However if they do the search on thier own using a local website to perform the search then you name will come up as pending in a case. It will not have the judgement yet but will show up as pending. You answer on the appkication will be truthfull at the time of hiring. But the facts will change.

Best bet. Be honest. Let them know about it and see what happens. They may commend you for your honesty or say bye bye. Or you could not tell them wait for then to find out then try to explain. Also it may be a bit hard to explain why you need that day off for a court date.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) No one is going to pick up the phone and call your employer to tell them about it. That doesn't mean they can't or won't find out. It depends on too many possible factors to say.

2.) Generally only once, and generally only on new hires, not on current employees. However, the law does not prohibit an employer from doing them more frequently or on current employees, and it does sometimes happen. It will depend on your employer's policies.

3.) I don't know the answer to this one in your state.

4.) No.

bardunatorio

I also wanted to find out who does background checks? I know large corporations, but usually do small businesses dish out the money to have them done? Is it advisable for me to apply for jobs now before my arraignment so that my background check would be most likely clear?

Thanks for all your help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It all depends on the employer. Some large employers do; some don't. Some small employers do; some don't.

There is no way to say who will do a background check and who will not. I have always worked for relatively small companies (under 300 EEs), and all but one of these companies has done a thorough background check. It might also depend on the industry where you seek employment. Banking, healthcare, and security are all areas where a background check will probably be performed no matter what the employer's size.

As for looking for a job before your arraignment...you have already been told that no matter what, if you have been arrested, which obviously you have, depending on the background check, it may already appear. It is always best to be honest with any prospective employers about this issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">