• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check For New Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roverby

What is the name of your state? NORTH CAROLINA

In 2004 I got in a little trouble. I had no previous record, was completely honest in my statement, and was about to finish my first degree; so he convinced the judge that if I paid for the damages, then I would get a prayer for judgement continuance??? or something like that. Basically they told me if I was good for 6 months then I wouldn't have this on my record.

Well I was good and haven't been in any trouble since. But, on occassion (like renting an apartment) this came up on my record. So I talked to my lawyer again. He said it wasn't dismissed but it should be. Then a few days later he called me and said that he got the judge to dismiss it. So that's good.

Well I recently got a job offer and they are going to run a check on me. I am scared to death what might be on the background report. Do I have anything to worry about? If they do see something, how detailed will it be? If it isn't detailed, what else could they find out?

I feel like I should be okay because I wasn't convicted of anything and never have been, but I am still worried about what may linger in the system. I really want this job.

HELP!

JETX

Well I recently got a job offer and they are going to run a check on me. I am scared to death what might be on the background report.
Why would you be worried about it?? Of course, you haven't LIED to them, have you??

Do I have anything to worry about? If they do see something, how detailed will it be? If it isn't detailed, what else could they find out?
Depends on what lies you might have told.

roverby

I am worried because I don't want this to come up. I want it to be behind me. I haven't lied about anything. They told me that there would be a background check. I told them that was just fine because I had never been convicted of any misdemeanors or felonies, which isn't a lie. I was arrested and charged.

What might they see? Will there be a record of arrest on what they see? Will it tell the charge even if I wasn't convicted?

Thanks for your input

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They MIGHT see everything. Then again, they might not see anything at all. It all depends on how thorough a check they do. All background checks are not created equal.

VeronicaLodge

but did your application have a question about your criminal past and did you disclose it?

at where i work, we have a question about it and then do a background check, we do not revoke offers because of what we find on the background check (generally, depend on what is there and what we are hiring for) but we do revoke offers for lying on the application if you put nothing and we found something.

sharonbattista

Nj

They will see that you have been charged and they will see that it was dismissed. Your case may have been dismissed but it will still turn up on the background, depending how thorough thier background process is.

Here is an example of what they will see

ORIGINAL CHARGE:
1. DOMESTIC BATTERY
2. PROTECTION ORDER

DISPOSITION:
1. STRICKEN OFF WITH LEAVE TO REINSTATE
2. DISMISSED

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">